Serious Bug - Data Corruption?

Maple and Maple Reader
urgbum

Serious Bug - Data Corruption?

Post by urgbum »

in Maple 5.1 & 5.2 professional, it is very easy to trigger some form of data corruption... i have tried this both on Windows XP and Windows 2003 on the same machine, so i imagine it is not specific to my setup (especially since none of my other applications exhibit data loss of this sort). hopefully i am wrong, but will somebody please check this?

create a new document
press ins to create a new node
type 'a' and press enter to name the node
press tab and type '1' as the content of the node
press CTRL+W to create a new node
type 'b' and press enter to name the node
press tab and type '1' as the content of the node
click on 'a' and change the content from '1' to '11'
click on 'b'.

you will notice that the content for 'b' is now missing. clicking on node 'a' will reveal that the content ('11') is still there.

if you type in new content for 'b', e.g. 22, and click on node 'a', you will notice that the content for 'a' is now missing, but the content for 'b' is still there... notice that maple is not simply forgetting the modification, but that instead the entire node content is WIPED OUT. 'undo' does nothing for you here, either.

as you can imagine, this is incredibly frustrating, since even though i can reproduce it with this simple example, *sometimes*, the order of operations seems to have an impact on whether or not this bug manifests itself... in practice i've only noticed it twice now, but in both cases i lost enough data to care and to realise that it was not my mistake but a software error.

this is a really great product, but data loss is always a scary possibility and code is seldom bug free (i do programming work on medium sized systems myself, and i know it has little to do with the programmer's skill). some sort of 'backup' feature would be great (e.g. maintaining a copy of the previously saved version) to deal with those few - but serious - circumstances where data loss occurs, for whatever reason.
support
Site Admin

Post by support »

Please uninstall Maple completely, including Windows\System32\midas.dll file. Then, reinstall it again.

Post by Guest »

Denis wrote:Please uninstall Maple completely, including Windows\System32\midas.dll file. Then, reinstall it again.
thanks for the quick response. this resolved the problem.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Fri May 21, 2010 7:22 pm.