Can't Access Winlock

WinLock, WinLock Professional, and WinLock Remote Administrator
ManlyTrash

Can't Access Winlock

Post by ManlyTrash »

Windows XP Pro SP3 with all updates/Patches, no AV installed.
Work group mode with 2 users both admins.
Downloaded and installed Latest version of Pro today and started playing with the settings.
I was changing between accounts and now I can't get into Winlock, never get prompted for the password and the icon has disappeared fron the system tray.
I've restarted and can click on the Winlock progam from the start menu or All Programs but it does nothing and never prompts me for the password.
F11 does nothing also. What the heck did I do? I thought for sure I didn't remove it from the system tray. Major bumber already and will dread having to perform another clean install.

Thanks for your help.
ManlyTrash

Re: Can't Access Winlock

Post by ManlyTrash »

Ok, I see this post but why doesn't the F11 hot key work? I'm using the latest version. Will try this and let you know.
ManlyTrash

Post by ManlyTrash »

Can visit this forum but can't download the "showicon.exe" as Winlock is blocking this.
Copied the exe to a bootable flash drive and put it in the users startup folder along with Sysinternals Process Explorer.
Proc Explorer starts up fine but the showicon exe does nothing. Even used Proc Explorer to run it from a network drive and still nothing.

Don't see anything related to Winlock with Process Explorer so I can't kill it that way. Is this some kind of root kit?
What setting(s) would cause this type of behavoir?
Why does the F11 key not work?

Lucky me, I didn't check the box that said "block booting to safe mode". I was able to get into the Winlock app that way and reset all the profiles with the administrator account. (I had 3 accounts, administrator, admin and User). I can now access Winlock.

But I think I figureed out what happened or the flaw in the program. The nag screen shows up now. When I locked it down it didn't thus blocking me from accessing the settings. Didn't anyone test this? Obviously not. How about just a 30 day timer time bomb in the background and not a nag screen? Thanks for wasting a few hours of my time to troubleshoot your program. Do I get a free copy for my efforts? Retorical question.

It seems like a good replacement for Steady State and is suppose to work with Vista/Win7 (haven't tested this yet) but the normal person would be S.O.L. if they ran into this issue and most likey move on to another app. I was hoping to use this to replace are use of Steady State as we will be retiring XP from the network soon. This little adventure doesn't give me that warm and fuzzy feeling I was looking for.

Someone from Crystal Office can email me directly if they have any questions that they don't want posted here. Thanks.
jasonp

Post by jasonp »

This exact scenario just happened with my on windows XP sp3 mutiple user accounts in a domain.
Thank you for posting your "solution"

What I had to do was reboot, click "winlock" program icon (which did nothing) and press f11 a million times and I don't know why or how but the password screen finally popped up.

This also was with multiple users logging in and out for testing purposes. Maybe winlock has a user issue?
In the actual winlock program under users it would only ever list the one I actually installed the program with, no other computer users were listed. Is that normal?

Good luck looks like a good product and if you can fix this glitch I think more people would try it.